If you see this error message, there may be some steps you need to take before you can connect your financial account via Plaid successfully.
Some financial institutions require you to take specific steps to enable your accounts to be linked to third-parties like Plaid.
- Please log into your bank account directly on a secure web browser (not via a mobile app) to confirm your online banking settings enable you to share your data - before retrying your connection attempt through Plaid.
- This setting may be called “Third-Party Sharing” or something similar, and it can usually be found in the Privacy or Security section of your Account Settings.
- If you’ve just opened an account at your financial institution, make sure all cards are activated, accounts are enrolled in online banking, and that you’ve set up all required security questions.
Other times, your financial institution may be requiring you to complete an action, as part of a routine update. Please log into your bank account directly on a secure web browser (not via a mobile app) to see any additional prompts for you to complete. Examples of these types of actions include:
- New Terms of Service that they’d like you to confirm
- A prompt asking to switch to paperless statements
- Contact information they’d like you to update,
- A new security requirement
If you’re unable to identify the specific action required, there may be an error or issue with Plaid’s connection to your financial institution. We’re likely already aware of and investigating this issue, but if you’d like a closer look into your specific connection:
- Please reach out to the app or service where you’re attempting to connect your financial accounts. They can look up your account in their system and investigate all corresponding connection attempts via Plaid.
- If you are attempting to use the Plaid Portal, then you can log in to your account to get in touch.
As a reminder, Plaid does not create an account about you when you connect or attempt to connect your financial accounts to an app or service.