This error message is different from “Username or password incorrect” and indicates that the username you've entered does not match the username provided when you first connected your account to an app or service. This can happen for two reasons:
- You've changed your financial account username since you initially connected the app.
- Your username has not changed, but you are now entering it with a different capitalization than you did previously -- or perhaps a typo.
If you have changed your username since you initially connected your accounts and you attempt to update it from within an application:
- Plaid communicates with that application to let them know. With this information, the application should prompt you to create a new connection by reconnecting your financial institution to the app from scratch.
- If this is not happening as expected, you'll need to reach out to your app and ask them to assist you in creating a new connection with your financial institution and your new username. Some apps may even allow you to remove and re-add the connection yourself.
If you have not changed your username since you initially connected your accounts -- please try your connection again, paying particular attention to the following:
- Capitalization of letters. Usernames are case sensitive in our system, even if they are not in your bank's, and a mismatch could be interpreted as a "different" username. This is particularly common if you're on a mobile device which can auto-capitalize the first letter.
- Extra spaces. Some mobile devices, in particular Samsung/Android devices, can add an extra space following the username upon autocomplete. Please check and delete any extra spaces before submitting.
If you’re unable to resolve your error and you’d like a closer look into your specific connection:
- Please reach out to the app or service where you’re attempting to connect your financial accounts. They can look up your account in their system and investigate all corresponding connection attempts via Plaid.
- If you are attempting to use the Plaid Portal, then you can log in to your account to get in touch.
As a reminder, Plaid does not create an account about you when you connect or attempt to connect your financial accounts to an app or service.