An app may connect to your financial accounts in multiple ways using Plaid. In the case you are connecting via Plaid’s micro-deposit method, you would be asked to provide your routing number and account number directly to Plaid during the account connection process. Here’s what you can expect:
- If provided by the app or service you’re connecting to, start the micro-deposit connection process by selecting Link with account numbers on the institution search result screen.
- Enter your routing number and then your account number carefully when prompted, being sure to provide the details for the account you wish to link.
- Plaid will then send a micro-deposit to your account, which could take one to two business days.
- In some cases, Plaid will verify your account details for you immediately after step 2, so no further action is required! In other cases, you may need to manually verify it in your app to complete the connection process (see below).
3-Letter Code Micro-Deposit Process
If you’re prompted to manually verify a code for your micro-deposit within your app or service, here’s what we recommend:
- Log into your online banking account via their app or website
- Locate the $0.01 deposit that was made into the account that you provided details for previously (step 2 above)
- Click into this deposit/transaction to view the details. The deposit should come through with a description that reads:
#XXX <app_name> ACCTVERIFYThe "XXX" above is where a 3-letter code should be (e.g. #ABC Peanut App ACCTVERIFY).
- Once you've located the 3-letter code in the description of the $0.01 deposit, copy the code or write it down for quick access later
- Log into your account with your app or service. You should then be prompted to paste or type in the 3-letter code you found earlier in your bank account to complete the connection process
Note: If you are not receiving the $0.01 deposit, please reach out to the app or service you’re attempting to connect with.
If you’re running into a different error and you’d like a closer look into your specific connection, we still recommend reaching out to the app or service where you’re attempting to connect your financial accounts. They can look up your account in their system and investigate all corresponding connection attempts via Plaid.
As a reminder, Plaid does not create an account about you when you connect or attempt to connect your financial accounts to an app or service.