Plaid provides the technology that enables consumers to connect their financial accounts to apps and services, but we do not have control over how the apps and services function. For more information about who Plaid is, check out this page!
How can I tell if I’ve been the victim of fraud?
Fraud attempts can take many forms. If someone is trying to steal your money and/or your identity, you may notice one or more of the following telltale signs:
- Money missing from your accounts. If this happens, you should identify exactly which transactions were fraudulent and contact your financial institution to see how they can help.
- Login attempts you didn’t authorize. If someone logs in to your financial account from a new device, you may get an email or text letting you know about it or with a one time code you didn’t request.
- Notifications from your bank. Most banks have fraud protection and monitoring programs in place. They’ll notify you if they detect suspicious or unauthorized activity from your bank account.
- Notifications from an app. Financial apps usually have systems in place to verify transactions and alert you of any suspicious activity. If someone is trying to use a financial app to steal your funds, you should get a notification.
Even if money hasn’t gone missing, it’s still important to take action. If you suspect you’ve been the victim of fraud—or attempted fraud—the best thing to do is secure all your accounts immediately.
Working with your bank or card company is the only way to ensure that your information is secured. Fraudsters often buy and sell personal information, so it's likely your personal account numbers are still available for others to use outside of Plaid
How can I get my money back?
We suggest a few actions you might take and point you in the direction of those who might be able to help. As a first step, we recommend starting your search in the place where the money went missing.
- If there’s a fraudulent charge on your credit card, call the financial institution that issued the card.
- If you’re missing money from your bank account, contact your bank.
- If you’re missing money from a Plaid-powered app, contact the app’s support team.
Once you let these services know that the charges were unauthorized, they should be able to walk you through the dispute process. They are your best point of contact in this situation.
How can I protect myself from fraud?
For additional information on how to protect your personal and financial information, please look over our article on personal security. This will help explain how to protect yourself from fraud in the future.